Where to Find Fall in Minnesota
When both the temperature and leaves begin to drop in Minnesota, we know we’re in for a few autumn treats: apple orchards, rainbow forests, and hot pumpkin bread, to name a few! After living here our entire lives, we have a few places you can check out for a fun, fall date night or a day spent with all the kiddos!
Our Favorite Apple Orchards in Minnesota
Does anyone else naturally start to crave apple-spiced treats and hot drinks starting September 1? Because we sure do!
Here are our favorite apple orchards where you can buy apples and pumpkins!
- Minnetonka Orchards in Minnetrista, Minn.
- Deer Lake Orchard in Buffalo, Minn.
- Aamodt’s Apple Farm in Stillwater, Minn.
- Apple Jack Orchards in Delano, Minn. (made from scratch bakery items!)
Drives and Walks to See the Autumn Leaves
If you live in the Twin Cities, we highly recommend making the drive up to the North Shore to see the fall colors!
Here are some beautiful places where you can stop and walk around:
- See waterfalls and Lake Superior at Tettegouche State Park in Silver Bay, Minn.
- Jay Cooke State Park in Carlton, Minn.
- Gooseberry Falls State Park in Two Harbors, Minn.
- Split Rock Lighthouse in Two Harbors, Minn.
- View the highest waterfall in Minnesota at Grand Portage State Park
- Take a scenic drive using one of these routes
- the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCA) – you can access this via Ely or Grand Marais.
- Take a gondola up Moose Mountain at Lutsen Mountains to see the trees from above!
If you’re looking for a moderate day hike, the Bean and Bear Lake Loop in Silver Bay is a 6.5 mile loop that’s part of the Superior Hiking Trail and is stunning!
Around the Twin Cities
Here are our favorite places to see the leaves close to home:
- Lake Minnetonka: stroll along Excelsior Commons in downtown Excelsior or walk through downtown Wayzata
- Bike or walk around the south Minneapolis Chain of Lakes: Lake Harriet, Bde Maka Ska, Lake of the Isles and/or Lake Nokomis
- Visit places in the St. Croix Valley including Stillwater, Minn. and Taylors Falls
- Take a short hike to see Minnehaha Falls at Minnehaha Regional Park
- Explore the trails at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum (make sure to make a reservation in advance)
- Choose a section of the Minnesota River Valley National Scenic Byway
We did mention a pumpkin bread recipe at the beginning of this blog! Here is a link to our favorite Pumpkin Bread Recipe. 🙂 We hope you have a wonderful fall!